Current Affairs February 2018
|Month and Date
|| Current Affairs
- PMLN elects Nawas as Quaid for life Shahbaz as interim party president.
- Sudan’s President Al-Bashir sacks army chief of staff.
- Saudi Arabia allows women to join military first time.
- 90th birth anniversary of revolutionary poet Habib Jalib observed today.
- Yemen attack: at least 14 killed in raid on Aden counter-terrorism headquarters.
- MPA Mian Tariq Mehmood, two ex-MPAs quit PML-N – Pakistan.
- Vanessa resigns as National Franchise Director of Miss World TT.
- Libya successfully defends Paris arbitration court case against Brazilian companies.
- Hameed Nizami 56th birth anniversary today.
- Insurgents kill more than 20 security forces in separate attacks in Afghanistan.
- Anwar ul Haq wins LHC Bar elections, becomes newly elected President.
- Sridevi beloved Bollywood actress passes away at age 54 years.
- Indonesia passes Law to stop criticism of Politicians.
| 24th February
- TAPI gas pipeline project finally launched.
- Supreme Court disqualifies PTI MPA abdual Munim Khan.
- Junaid Khan Hat Trick against Lahore Qalandar in PSL 3.
- Pakistan takes defence attaches of 6 nations on tour of LOC.
- PEMA deputy director two others injured in Peshawar explosion.
| 23th February
- PM Shahid Khaqan Abbasi reaches in Turkmenistan for ground-breaking ceremony of TAPI project.
- Transparency International ranks Pakistan 117 out of 180 countries on global corruption index.
- Russia opens honorary consulate in Peshawar.
- UNICEF has declared Pakistan as the riskiest country for newborns.
- Nawaz disqualified as PMLN president, SC announces verdict in Elections Act case.
- Aashiana Housing scandal Ex DG LDA Ahad Cheema arrested.
- PSL 3 opening ceremony held today.
- Veteran actor Kamal Hasan to launch his maiden political party.
- Kashmala Tariq appointed federal ombudsperson.
- Two lawyers shot dead in firing in Lahore sessions court.
- Women in Saudi Arabia can now open their own businesses without the consent of a husband.
- Canada eliminated from medal contention in women’s curling.
| 20th February
- 2 Indian soldiers killed after eight year old Pakistani boy dies in Cross LOC firing.
- NAB to initiate inquiry against Akram Khan Durrani over misuse of powers.
- Champions Trophy heroes Amir, Zaman win ODI performance of the year awards.
- Two Afghanistan based TTP suicide bombers killed in Bajaur Agency: ISPR
| 19th February
- Iran Plane Crash: All 66 people on board feared dead.
- India vs South Africa: 1st T20 India won by 28 runs.
- Drug Inspector Roohi Bano Obaid resign.
- World tallest hotel opens in Dubai.
| 18th February
- Iran and India agree to lease part of Chabahar Port to New Delhi.
- 22 die as multiple suicide bomb hit Konduga fish market in Brono.
- Rotterdam Open: David Goffin forced to retire after freak eye injury.
| 17th February
- Famous actor Munna Lahori, Zakoota of Ainak Wala Jin, passes away.
- UK teacher Andria Zafirakou named in top 10 for $1m global prize.
- Pakistan to deploy troops in Saudi Arabia.
- Rashid Minhas’s 67th Birth Anniversary Being Observed Today.
- Australia beat New Zealand with record T20 International runs chase in Auckland.
| 16th February
- Five Indian soldiers killed in Pakistan Army retaliation along LOC.
- KP Sharma Oli appointed Nepal’s new prime minister.
- Ethiopian Prime minister quits in sign of leadership split.
- Saudi Arabia’s prince Abdulaziz bin Bandar passes away.
- Four Security Officials martyred in Quetta terrorist attack.
- Jacob Zuma resigns as President of South Africa.
- Shaheed Havaldar Lalak Jan birth anniversary observed today.
- Barnaby Joyce Australia deputy PM takes leave over scrutiny.
- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani to arrive in India for three day visit.
- Trump administration prepare and approves Annual Budget of amounting 44 Trillion Dollar for United States.
- US pushes motion to put Pakistan on global terrorist-financing watch list.
- Pakistani government bans Jamat-ud-Dawa head Hafiz Saeed and take over assets of Hafiz Saeed and FIF.
- The Middle East’s first Hindu stone temple will be constructed in Abu Dhabi by 2022.
- Valentines Day is going to observe today.
- PML-N Defeats PTI in Lodhran By Election of NA-154.
- COAS General Qamar Javed Bajwa visited Kabul to attend the Chief of Defense Conference.
- Dr Muhammad Amjad elected president of All Pakistan Muslim league.
- Trump suggests to give 28 Billion Dollar for Civil and 9 Billion Dollar for Defense aid to Pakistan from US Budget.
- International Women Day is going to observe today.
- Gulf metropolis Dubai opens world’s tallest hotel named gleaming gold.
- 71 people killed in Russian Plane crash near Moscow.
- Chief Minister Punjab disburses 6 Million dollar under Interest Free loan Scheme.
- Pak-Saudi Naval exercise Nasem al Bahr commences in Saudi Arabia.
- 11 Pakistani exhibitors participated in Ambiente Fair in Frankfurt, Germany.
- Renowned Lawyer Asma Jhangir passed away.
- Famous actor and play writer Qazi Wajid Passes away.
- Pakistan joins International Socca Federation ahead of mini-football World Cup.
- Jordan’s King Abdullah II visits Pakistan for two-day visit.
- World’s first passenger drone makes maiden public flight in China.
- Quaid-i-Azam University (QAU) has been ranked among the top 100 universities of Asia.
| 9th February
- Usman Mobin reappointed as NADRA chief for 3 years.
- Ex PM Khaleda Zia jailed for 5 years in corruption case.
- Jerome H Powell sworn in as 16th Chairman of Federal Reserve.
- Famous actress Nigar Sultana Passes away.
- Jarrod Bannister Australian javelin record holder died at the age of 33 year.
- Justice Mansoor Ali Shah, Justice Yawar Ali Take Oath as SC Judge.
- Justice Yawar Ali take oath as 46th CJ of Lahore High Court.
- Two security men martyred in North Waziristan rocket attack.
- SpaceX Falcon Heavy brings new capabilities for the Defense Department.
- Malaysian opposition MP gets 30 months jai for bank details leak.
- India vs South Africa: 3rd ODI India won by 124 runs.
- 40 Death Anniversary of Sufi Ghulam Tabassum today.
- Afghan army officers fired over Kabul military base attack.
- Two dead more than 210 injured in Taiwan earthquake.
- Six newly appointed SHC Additional Judges take oath.
- Israel to give 750000 euros to Air India for launching Delhi Tel Aviv flight.
| 6th February
- Maldives president declares emergency SC judges arrested amid political crisis.
- The hajj quota for Pakistan for the year 2018 remains the same at 179,210.
- Pakistan’s annual inflation climbed to 4.4 per cent in January from 3.7pc in the same month last year.
- Pakistan Launches Application “Surfsafe” to Combat Cyberextremism.
- Saudi Arabia intercepts another missile launched from Yemen by Iran backed Houthis.
- Kashmir Solidarity Day to be observed today.
- PM Abbasi inaugurates Golen Gol Hydropower project in Chitral.
- Karachi ranked number two in marijuana-consuming cities in the world.
- Muhammad Aurangzeb appointed as HBL president and CEO.
- Senator Mushahid Hussain returns to PMLN fold after meeting Nawaz.
- 11 soldiers martyred in suicide attack on army unit in Swat.
- Lahore High Court Chief Justice Mansoor Ali Shah and Justice Yawar Ali appointed SC Judge.
- World Cancer Day celebrated on 4 February.
- Fahim Gul Disappointed Over Removal as Coach.
- Capt R Muhammad Aftab appointed new ETPB chairman.
- JF 17 successfully test fires beyond visual range missile.
- 90 Migrants Reported Dead after Boad Capsizes off Libya.
| 2nd February
- Nehal Hashmi arrested on Orders of SC disqualified for five years.
- Mir Hazar Khan Bijarani committed suicide after killing wife.
- Senator Saifullah Khan Bangash Passes away.
- Election Commission of Pakistan de notifies Nehal Hashmi form Senate.
| 1st February
- Supreme Court to remove Sadiq ul Farooq from ETPB chairmanship.
- At least one killed several injured as earthquake jolts Pakistan.
- Indian man dies after freak MRI machine accident at Mumbai hospital.
- Sharath Kamal Wins Table Tennis Nationals Championship.
- India becomes third largest producer of crude steel.