|Current Affairs January 2018
| Month and Date
|| Current Affairs
- Eight family members killed in Kurram Agency landmine blast.
- After 152 years, ‘Super Blue Blood Moon’ to light up skies on January 31.
- India 6th wealthiest country in the world with total wealth of $8230 billion.
- India vs Pakistan Under 19: India won by 203 runs.
- 11 Afghan troops die in attack targeting Kabul military academy.
- PML-N leader Jan Achakzai quits party.
- Babar Azam becomes second Pakistani to top ICC T20 rankings.
- Grammy winners 2018: Bruno Mars wins 6, Kendrick Lamar lands 5.
- Andrew McCabe steps down as FBI deputy director.
- Pakistan top T20 ranking after clinching sereis against New Zealand.
- Roger Federer wins sixth Australian Open and 20th Grand Slam title.
- Dr Asim once again appointed as Sindh HEC chairman.
- Gunmen kill at least 14 people at party in northeastern Brazil.
- At $19.3 billion, Pakistan ranks fifth in the world.
- Kabul attack: Taliban kill 95 with ambulance bomb in Afghan Capital.
- U.S. drone attack in Yemen kills seven suspected al Qaeda militants.
- Kiran Muzumdar Shaw Rajiv Lall appointed to US India Business Council Board.
- India beat South Africa in eventful Johannesburg final Test.
- 14 killed in Jihadist attack on army camp in northern Mali.
- Twenty Three killed in Saudi-led air strike in Yemen.
- Foreign affairs ministry marks International Holocaust Remembrance Day.
- South Korea hospital fire kills at least 37 in Miryang.
- Republic Day outreach marks fresh start in India’s Asean ties.
- Kamran Murtaza elected as Vice Chairman PBC.
- DG Passports Usman Bajwa appointed as CDA chairman.
- U-19 World Cup: Afghanistan stun New Zealand to enter semi-final.
- Jalal-ud-Din appointed head of Pakistan women’s selection committee.
- Asmavia Iqbal announces retirement from all formats.
- UK appoints Pakistani-origin Sara Khan to lead anti-extremism drive.
- Govt appoints Justice (R) Asghar Haider as Prosecutor NAB.
- Australian Bros Shoot Basketball form 660 Feed Makes a Guinness world record.
- Libya Double car bombing kills 33 in Benghazi Mosque.
- Haqqani commander among 3 killed in US Drone strike in NW Pakistan.
- French lawmakers banned from wearing religious symbols in parliament.
- Air Force deploys A-10s to Afghanistan to ramp up Taliban fight.
- O P Sindh takes charge as Uttar Pradesh DGP.
- Pakistan ranked at 47th in the Inclusive Development Index (IDI) 2018 of the World Economic Forum.
- Pakistani student (Muhammad Haider Khan) bagged the highest marks in Syllabus D Mathematics in the Cambridge
- Shah Rukh Khan receives human rights award at WEF (World Economic Forum).
- World XI beats Pakistan 5-1 in first hockey match.
- Thailand: Motorcycle bomb in southern Thailand market kills 3 and injures 22.
- Cricketer Irfan Pathan reacts to winning ‘Best actor’ award for ‘Hindi Medium.
- Saifullah Dogar appointed Special Secretary Finance.
- Pakistan vs New Zealand: 1st T20 New Zealand won by 7 wickets.
- Australia leg spinner Lloyd Pope snares 8 wickets to stun England at Under 19 World Cup.
- Ex SHO sacked over 2011 Kharotabad incident gunned down in Quetta.
- Aslam Shah appointed Political secretary of CM Balochistan.
- Om Prakash Rawat appointed Chief Election Commissioner of India.
- Blaze at firecracker factory outside New Delhi kill at least 17.
- Australia vs England: 3rd ODI England won by 16 runs.
- Four more martyred by Indian firing on Working Boundary.
- Kabul Intercontinental Hotel Attack five dead and six wounded after gunmen storm five star.
- SAARC CCI Re-elects Iftikhar Ali Malik As Its Vice President.
- Turkey launches strikes on Kurdish forces in Syria.
- Iraqi PM meets Kurdistan region leader for first time since independence vote.
- SM Zafar announces to leave politics.
- Renowned columnist Poet Munnu Bhai passes away at the age of 84.
- Two women martyred in Indian shelling along working Boundary.
- China launches 2 remote sensing satellites, 4 small satellites.
- Renowned Poet Saqi Farooqi Passes Away In London.
- Pakistani nuclear physicist Ishfaq Ahmed passes away at age of 87 years.
- 2 Women killed by firing across working boundary in Sialkot.
- Kazakhstan bus fire kills 52 with few survivors.
- Nusrat Ghani becomes first female muslim minister to speak at despatch box.
- India has successfully test-fired a long-range intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM).
- Lt Gen (retd) Maqsood Ahmad appointed Chairman Punjab Public Service Commission.
- At least 12 killed in Suicide Bomb attacks in Nigeria.
- India vs South Africa: 2nd Test South Africa won by 135 runs.
- Brazilian playmaker Ronaldinho announces retirement.
- Indian Govt Haj subsidy cancelled, all you need to know about the 85 year old policy.
- New Zealand vs Pakistan: New Zealand 4th ODI won by 5 wickets.
- President Pakistan Federation Baseball Syed khawar shah passes away.
- Muslim minister of Pakistani-origin takes oath of office on Holy Quran in US.
- Arif Ahmed Khan appointed Secretary Finance.
- Five security personnel martyred in Turbat gun attack.
- 27 dead dozens injured in Baghdad double suicide bombing.
- Blackcap Ross Taylor buzzing ahead of his 200th One Day International.
- Iran Tortures Two Young Protesters to Death in Prison, Raising Death Toll to 25.
- ECP cancels the enlisment of 284 Political Parties.
- World Bank puts $250m policy loan for Pakistan on Hold.
- Sarfraz Ahmed Bugti takes portfolio of Home & Tribal Affairs,Prisons and PDMA.
- Ecuador grants citizenship to WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange.
- Abul Quddus Bizenjo sworn in as new chief minister of Balochistan.
- 118th birth anniversary of Hafeez Jalandhari observed.
- Arfa Karim Randhawa’s 6th death anniversary being observed today.
- National Assembly passes bill to bring FATA under Supreme Court Peshawar High Court.
- Saudi Arabia unveils first women-only car exhibition after lifting driving ban.
- New Zealand beat Pakistan in 3rd ODI to clinch series.
- Rear Admiral Zaka Ur Rehman appointed DG Maritime Security Agency.
- Saudi prince ‘fired after audio tape contradicts state’.
- South African Open: Branden Grace cards three eagles in opening round
- Sardar Abdul Majeed Dasti to replace AD Khawaja as new IG Sindh.
- Dr. Ishrat nominated Pakistan’s candidate for the position of Chairman, IMFC.
- Canada launches global trade complaint against US over use of duties.
- Sanaullah Zehri resigns as CM Balochistan.
- 6 killed 25 injured in Suicide bomb blast in Quetta.
- Poland’s prime minister sacks ministers in move to mend ties with EU.
- Mahmood Bashir Virk sworn in as federal minister for law and Justice.
- Iran bans English lessons for elementary school children.
- MPA PP 30 Tahir Ahmad Sandhu Passes away.
- Australia beats England by an inning and 123 runs in Sydney to complete 4-0 series win.
- 32 people including 30 Iranians missing after collision off China.
- Four Weightlifters Killed in Accident on Fog-Hit Delhi Highway; World Champion Seriously Injured.
- Air Strikes kill 17 civilians in Syria.
- Lalu Prasad to three-and-a-half years in jail and imposed a fine of Rs 10 lakh in a fodder scam case.
- Former Toyota President Tatsuro Toyoda died at the age of 88 years.
- Air Marshal Asghar Khan passes away in Islamabad at the age of 96 year.
- MPAs Rahat Bibi, Majid Abro resign as political crisis worsens in Balochistan.
- VC Punjab University Zafar Mueen submits resignation.
- 13 dead in Indonesia’s 2nd boat accident in week.
- World War Orphans Day celebrated on 6 January.
- Zubaida Apa passes away in karachi after brief illness.
- Hassan Sardar appointed head coach of Pakistan Hockey team.
- Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto 90th birth anniversary being observed today.
- Afghanistan: Kabul suicide attack kills 11, 25 wounded.
- South Africa train crash leaves 18 people dead and hundreds injured.
- MNA’s nephew among two killed in Lahore marriage ceremony firing
- Suicide attack on Nigeria mosque causes 14 deaths.
- 87 birth anniversary of Molana Muhammad Ali Johar being celebrated today.
- Foreign Minister Kalaba quits his Cabinet Post, cites rising corruption in PF.
- Hazrat Allama Alhaj Mufti Muhammad Ameen Sahib Passaway at the age of 90 years.
- Three Killed in DR Congo’s Kasai opposition stronghold.
- Ex Indian Army Officer Kills six people with iron rod.
- Saudi Arabia and UAE introduce 5% VAT in bid to anrrow deficits.
- Makkah Madinah high speed train service started.
- Nine Inmates Dead Dozens Escape as Riot Erupts in a Brazil Prison.
- Commodore Abdul Basit Butt promoted to rank of rear admiral
- 4 killed in London New year knife violence.
- Ten Americans killed in Costa Rica plane crash.
- General Ali Abdullah Ayoub appointed defence minister of Syria.
- Former West Indies all rounder Phil Simmons appointed coach of Afghanistan.
- Female suicide bomber kills one wounds 28 in Cameroon.
- 36 died in central kenya bus crash.
- 18 killed in attack on Afghan funeral.