Current Affairs April 2018
|Month and Date
|| Current Affairs
- Pakistan fail to reach Youth Olympic Qualifiers semis in Bangkok.
- Chris Coleman: Sunderland manager leaves as club are taken over.
- NFL Draft 2018: Shaquem Griffin joins Seattle to become league’s first one-handed player.
- Saudi Aramco appoints first women to board.
- Gina Haspel appoint new CIA Chief.
- Junior Indian hockey teams progress to finals of Youth Olympics Qualifiers.
- Soldiers among 6 killed in Afghanistan car bomb attack.
- US: Secretary of State Mike Pompeo in Riyadh on Middle East tour.
- Influential Daesh leader arrested in Northern Iraq.
- PML-N govt presents historic sixth budget.
- Dr Miftah Ismail Appointed as Federal Finance Minsiter
- Pakistan finish second at South Asian Judo Championship in Nepal.
- Pakistan appoints first-ever female diplomat Fouzia Fayyaz in Saudi Arabia.
- Pakistan secure 7th place in Commonwealth Games 2018 hockey.
- Seven schoolchildren stabbed to death in northern China.
- Khawaja Asif disqualified under Article 62(1)(f), IHC rules.
- Suicide attack kills six police officers in Pakistan’s Balochistan.
- Indu Malhotra to be sworn in as Supreme Court judge, first woman to make it from Bar.
- US Senate confirms Pompeo as secretary of state.
- Harmonization law for elections passed in parliament.
- Veteran actress Kulsoom Sultan & Madeeha Gohar passes away.
- Asaram Bapu: Indian Guru sentenced to life for raping girl.
- Mummified body found in Iran could be of ex ruler Reza Shah.
- Newly-hired Brazilian football coach Jose Antonio Nogueira arrives in Karachi.
- Pak Army Chief meets Russian Army Commander-in-Chief General Oleg Salyukov.
- At least 10 policemen martyred in suicide attack targeting police van in Quetta.
- Ex Indonesian parliamentary speaker sentenced to 15 years for graft.
- Mumbai: Shiv Sena man Sachin Sawant shot dead in Kandivali.
- Angola president fires army chief and spy boss.
- Hezbollah member killed in S. Lebanon blast.
- Religious Scholar Ataul Momin Shah Bukhari passes away.
- Armenia’s Prime minister resigns amid large scale protests.
- Trump’s pick for ambassador to Germany hangs at Mar-a-Lago.
- 20 killed including bride as Saudi led coalition airstrike hits a wedding party in Yemen.
- Barcelona 5-0 Sevilla: Messi and company unstoppable in Copa del Rey Final.
- Marriyum pays glowing tribute to legendary actor Moin Akhtar 7th death anniversary observed.
- Afghanistan: Kabul voter centre suicide attack kills 57.
- Amir Khan defeats Phil Lo Greco in 39 second welterweight bout.
- Australia youngest ever senator to introduce bill to lower voting age to 16 years.
- Novruz Mammadov becomes the new Prime Minister of Azerbaijan.
- India introduces death penalty for child rapist.
- North Korea announces it will stop all nuclear tests and missile launches.
- Dr Umer Saif appointed chair-holder of UNESCO Chair for Information and Communication Technology for Development (ICTD).
- Germany’s Social Democrats choose first female chair in hope of revamp.
- Iran to replace US dollar with euro in financial reports.
- Nation Observes Allama Iqbal’s 80th Death Anniversary Today.
- South Sudan’s army chief Gen James Ajongo dies in Egypt.
- Afghanistan blast: Five killed 14 injured in roadside bomb explosion in Nangarhar province.
- Former Delhi High Court Chief Justice Rajinder Sachar passes away.
- Omar Al Bashir sacks Sudan foreign minister.
- US State Department appoints Urdu Translator for better bilateral ties with Pakistan.
- Additional Attorney General Afnan Karim Kundi tenders resignation.
- Cuba’s National Assembly announces Miguel Diaz Canel as new president.
- Peoples Unity Wins PIA CBA Union Referendum.
- Saudi Arabia first cinema in over 35 years opens with black Panther.
- Former Black Cap Michael Papps retires from first-class cricket.
- American woman and Japanese man win Boston Marathon’s elite divisions.
- Former US First Lady Barbara Bush dies at 92 years.
- Shehbaz Sharif appoints Shah Muhammad Shah as Acting President PMLN Sindh.
- 26 security officers killed in attacks across Afghanistan.
- Turkey to hold snap elections on 24 June citinng need to overcome uncertainties.
- North and South Korea reportedly set to announce official end to war.
- Israel celebrates its 70th Israeli style with Rancor and Bickering.
- Queen appoints Prince Harry as Commonwealth youth ambassador.
- Mystery Surrounds Fate of Saddam Hussein’s Remains.
- Three killed in attack on Iran military check post.
- CIA Director Pompeo secretly met with Kim Jong Un in North Korea.
- PM Abbasi to attend Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in London from April 18 to 20.
| 17th April
- NAB suspended Sukkur acting Deputy Director Kashif Gondal on corruption for three month.
- Pakistan has regained the membership of two key UN bodies NGOs and UNICEF.
- Irani forces gun down two illegal migrants from Pakistan near border.
- Attacks in Afghanistan leave Dozens Dead and 2 schools burned.
- In race for 5G China leads South Korea and US.
- 2 FC personnel martyred, 5 injured in attack from across Afghan border.
- Major fire guts Rohingya refugee camp in Delhi, all IDs charred.
- PCB anounces 16 member squad for England Ireland series.
- Award-winning Italian filmmaker Vittorio Taviani dies at 88 age.
- Pakistan’s Mohammad Inam wins first gold medal at Commonwealth Games in the 86kg wrestling competition.
- Pakistan successfully test-fires enhanced range version of Babur cruise missile.
- Pakistan Army cadet Sheroz Shahid wins ‘International Medal’ at Royal Military Academy Sandhurst (RMAS) UK.
- PM Raja Farooq Haider 8 new minister inducted in AJK cabinet.
- Pakistan secure seventh place with Canada win at Commonwealth Games.
- Pakistans Arshad Nadeem qualifies for javelin final at Commonwealth Games.
- Senate passes bill to extend jurisdiction of SUpreme Court PHC to FATA.
- John Melcher Montana Democat in house and Senate Dies at 93 age.
- RPower board approves appointment of K Raja Gopal as CEO, Shrenik Vaishnav as CFO.
- Saudi Arabia’s air defences intercept a Houthi missile launched on Jazan.
- Lieutenant General Sadiq Ali replaces General Umar Durrani as Chairman Pakistan Ordinance Factory.
- Imran Khan & Malala featured in World most Admired people of 2018.
- Commonwealth Games 2018: Shooters Anis Bhanwala Gold, Anjum Moudgil win Silver.
- 14 killed in Taliban attack in Afghanistan’s Ghazni province.
- 16 dead in attack at Iraq funeral of anti IS fighters.
- Algeria military plane carsh 257 people dead.
- Government inks Rs 639 crore deal for 1.86 lakh new bullet-proof jackets for infantry soldiers.
- Pregnant singer Samina Sindhu killed for refusing to dance at Larkana function.
- Yemen’s Houthi rebels fire ballistic missile at Saudi Capital.
- Usain Bolt parties on Gold Coast with nightclub DJ set during Commonwealth Games.
- Pakistani-origin Dr Robina Shah appointed high sheriff of Greater Manchester.
- 225 flights cancelled due to runway closure in Mumbai.
- US airstrikes against Taliban drug labs extend to western Afghanistan.
- Sudan’s president Bashir issues decision to release all political prisoners.
- 16 people killed in air strike on Syrian air base.
- Indian school bus plunges into gorge killing 27 children.
- Former senior leader at east Libya forces of warlord Haftar shot in Benghazi.
- Commonwealth Games 2018: Akani Simbine stuns Yohan Blake to win 100m gold.
| 9th April
- Two minority MNAs Dr Ramesh Kumar & Bhawan Das quit PMLN.
- President Mamnoon issues ordinance approving tax amnesty scheme.
- PM Abbasi arrives in China to attend Boao Forum.
- Indian runaway train takes 1000 passengers on engineless journey.
- Blackbuck poaching case: Salman Khan reaches Mumbai after being granted bail, greets fans at residence.
- IS leader in Afghanistan killed. Taliban Drug Factories Targeted.
- At Least 15 killed in bus crash involving Canadian junior hockey team.
- Commonwealth Games, Kyle Chalmers back from heart surgery to win 200 freestyle.
- Pakistni Prime Minister in Afghanistan to ease tensions.
- Former South Korean President Park sentenced to 24 year in prison for corruption.
- Markets Tumble again as U.S China Trade Tensions Continue to Rise.
- PM Shahid Khaqan Abbasi announces simplified income tax package, amnesty scheme for foreign assets.
- Salman Khan arrested after being sentenced to five years jail term in blackbuck poaching case
- Krishna Kumari Kohli: Pakistan elects first Hindu woman to Senate.
- Pakistan delays FTA-ll signing with China at eleventh hour.
- Commonwealth Games: Para-cyclist James Ball wins Wales’ first medal.
- North Korea could launch nuclear strike on Britain by summer.
- MQM-Pakistan suffers another blow as two more leaders jump ship.
- Federal cabinet declares April 6 as Kashmir Solidarity Day.
- UAE suspends ‘character certificate’ rule for working Pakistani workers.
- CWG 2018: Weightlifter Gururaja Opens India’s Medal Tally with Silver in 56kg category.
- Australian ball tampering. Steve Smith & Cameron Bancroft will not contest bans.
- Pakistan script whitewash against West Indies in homecoming series.
- Google marks 90th birth anniversary of Maya Angelou with special doodle.
- 34 years ago Rakesh Sharma became the only Indian to travel to space.
- Turkey signs deal to get Russian S-400 air defence missiles.
- Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto 39th death anniversary today.
- Five killed as fire erupts in Lahore Bakery.
- Jam Kamal minister from Blaochistan quits federal cabinet.
- Google honours Nazia Hassan with Doodle on 53rd birthday.
- Dhoni receives prestigious India award.
- Afghanistan: Civilians killed in attack on Kunduz madrassa.
- Ministers highlight new economic opportunities in Saudi Arabia
- Indian army killed 17 person in Kashmir.
- State Bank of Pakistan maintains policy rate unchanged at 6% for next two months.
- Pakistan beat West Indies by 143 runs in first T20 in Karachi.
- CBSE paper leak: police arrest 2 teachers and coaching centre owner.
- VK Singh goest to Iraq to bring back remains of Indians.
- Pakistan Navy wins 25th National Shooting Championship in Karachi with 20 gold, 14 silver and 11 bronze medals
- Philanthropist Dr Amjad Saqib founder of “Akhuwat”, receives Commonwealth Points of Light award.
- Pakistan Navy test-fires submarine-launched cruise missile ‘Babur’ with a range of 450 kilometres
- Russia expels 60 US diplomats and closed the St Petersburg consulate.
- Abdel Fattah el-Sisi wins second term as Egyptian president with 92% of vote.